How do you get through multiple layers (organizational levels) to get social media started?
- Personnel policy — clearly let staff know what they can do and can’t
- Address security issues upfront (IT related)
- Talk about the value of social media
- Talk about productivity impact
- Look to peer organizations — i.e., positive peer pressure
- Leadership from top — leadership should support and model appropriate social media use
- Archiving — if your content falls under open records make sure to consider archiving of social media if your content is not already posted elsewhere on an archived site (e.g., your domain)
- Just get started — somehow
- Start small! Pilot projects
- Education/training — help staff learn how to use social media and education yourself on issues in sm
- Staff time/job priority — if no dedicated sm participants then make it part of staff responsibilities
- Cultivate resistors; make team players
- Form organizational task form with resotors and all levels
These are the ideas my group up from to address the issue of getting buyin.